Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

F150: My truck wont start sometimes. It might be starter. It

Customer Question

My truck wont start sometimes. It might be starter. It makes a thud sound when i try and crank it. I had plastic bushings on steering column replaced and all tightened up and replaced some fuses.battery is good.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
When you get the "thud" you would need to confirm if starter is binding or too weak or another problem.
A "thud" can be heard when power is too weak or bad connections such as starter ground or cables, when starter is binding to the point it cannot make any correct contact to turn the flywheel and or weak starter, etc.
When you get the "thud" see if it is coming from the starter area and if so check the above items I listed. In some cases some wish to just try another starter, I rather diagnose things first to pinpoint the problem but understand if that is the route you wish to try.
Also check battery is fully charged and passes a battery load test (battery load tester), check if when getting the thud if voltage is lower than 12.6vdc (not during cranking), you can also preform a starter draw test where you check the voltage during cranking to see if excessive amperage draw is a problem.
Yes I do see where you say battery is good, please understand on my end I confirm everything such as a battery load test, with the exception if battery was just replaced and both have the same problem, even then it should still be checked to confirm.
Another thing to check is that engine actually turns by hand when starter will not, thus eliminating other engine problems.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.