Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Excursion: Buddy I don't know if you can help because this

Customer Question

Buddy I don't know if you can help because this is complex wiring issue. It involves a burnt wire in the headlight switch. I am trying to find out where the tan/white wire in the headlight switch goes. I believe it connects to the number 8 fuse 15A in the main fuse/control box under the hood. The tan/white is burnt all the way to the fire wall. Symptoms include parking lights do not work. Dash and instrument illumination does not work. I need to resolve this and I want to run a fresh wire from point I don't know to the headlight switch. Where does the line coming out of the fuse box (which I believe is solid dark brown) split to control the parking lamps if it splits at all and if not which wire loom can I find it in on the fire wall so I can splice in there.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Open the file below to see the wire diagram. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/Excursionheadlight.png The TN/WH wire is power from fuse 8 to the headlight switch and park lamp relay. Look over the diagram and let me know what is needed from there. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris, I have that wiring diagram. I deduced that the TV/wh runs all the way from the fuse box to the headlight switch. I spliced into the only unburnt wire I could find coming out of the fuse box tn/wh ran a new line to the headlamp switch. I had no change except that when I turned the switch to park the fuse did not blow. I'm hoping that is a good sign. Someone at some point in this trucks life wired in an electronic brake controller and air bags and some towing accessories very poorly. I had to rewire some of the brake control wires while I was under the dash which resolved another fuse blowing issue with the turn signals and brake lights. Two wires burned up in the small fire involving the headlight switch. The tn/wh and the black next to it. The black says it is a ground. According to my switch wiring diagram there are two grounds on that plug. One that applies to the db/or (constant hot) or the tn/wh which is (also constant hot). Do I need to make sure that runs to a ground. Because currently it is not hooked up. Also ran into a new issue. I had the fuse box pulled out so I disconnected the battery before touching it and the a/c doesn't want to kick on. I'm in south Louisiana so that sucks a lot. Thanks in advance. Thomas
Thomas thanks for the update, but can you lay out the questions you need me to address, Ic an not tell what are questions and what are just comments.