HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Explorer Limited Ed: ac stopped coolingbought off the shelf

Customer Question

ac stopped cooling
bought off the shelf 134R with gauge, checked pressure, system showed over pressure, when running, a/c on full. same time, pump clutch has started rattling and now when i turn on ac there is also a hissing when a/c pump engages
I did drain and replace freon to acceptable pressure. for clarification, inital pressure, before I did anything, was well over standard
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
you completely emptied the ac system and recharged it and used a vacuum pump? The pump you refer to you mean the ac compessor and its clutch operation? hissing from the compressor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

blew the compressor. metal chips everywhere. replaced and back on the road. I wish it was a less tedious and expensive problem but the car has 236,000 miles on it, i cant' complain over it's only breakdown so far.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Very good,sounded like you had a leak with the hissing noise. Glad you got it all fixed up!