James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

F350 diesel super duty: 2007 ford f350 diesel pickup I have

Customer Question

2007 ford f350 diesel pickup
I have a starting problem. I have to turn key and turn key then it starts. I thought it was a key switch problem so I put new key switch in. Not the problem. Is there two or a floating solenoid on the fire wall that could be causing this
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. So you need to cycle the key a couple times to get the starter to engage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have to cycle it many times before it will start

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
That sounds like a faulty starter relay. Do you have a owners manual for fuse locations? You can find a single large yellow wire with blue stripe I believe. You can disconnect it to the positive cable or jump it. This will engage the starter every time if it is ok. If this is ok please let me know.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not had a chance to check that out but the starter is new last year.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The starter could still be going out. If you swap the starter relay with a different relay doe it make a difference?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I changed out starter relay in the main fuse panel and it was still acting up. It will work many times in a row fine then it will not work and I have to keep cycling the key.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Does this have a remote start or alarm installed underneath?