Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

How far could a Ford Taurus drive if someone poured 5 GALLONS

Customer Question

How far could a Ford Taurus drive if someone poured 5 GALLONS of water into the oil?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The engine will run until the bearing finally break down from lack of lubrication and the bearing either seize on the camshafts or crankshaft. And actually, if someone poured 5 gallons of water into the oil, the engine would be smoking out the tail pipe heavily as your engine can only hold 3 gallons of coolant in the cooling system and gallons of oil. You would have oil and water coming out of all the seals and the oil filler cap on the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I send you a video of what is coming out> The mechanic sent it to me.
( also,No smoke, no spitting out oil, )
How could this then be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car was running great,,no oil pressure lights, nothing , then bam! bucking and clanging and metallic noise. Finally engine frose and did not turn over. The dip stick showed little beads of very light oil all over it that ran down like water. Had it towed. Mechanic took video ...it pours out for 2 minutes like a hose ( or an engine with diarrea)
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Post it to you tube and send me the link.If there is a problem with the cooling system like a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head or a cracked engine block, coolant will get into the oil and creat what we call a milkshake where the coolant and oil mix causing basically mud in the engine oiling system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've seen waht oil looks like when water gets in ( lost a car in SANDY) it's looks like coffee brown...this isn;t it. It was a clean dip stick except for little tiny beads of water like oil beads...very tiny that just ran down the stick. When I took thebcap off the inside was shiny and clean like it had gone thru a steam cleaner. I will post to You tube and be right back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here it is:https://youtu.be/gwI5zSw3abs
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this caused by a bad head gasket and the engine is boiling the coolant and the steam is entering the oiling system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe 5 gallons was an overexaggeration...but 3 or 4 gallons...check it out...What is all that water pouring out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had almost a full tank of coolant.....it wassn't empty
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The engine is bad. That much water in the oil is causing severe engine damage to the bearings and the internal engine parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does that much watre get in oter than by someone vandalizing the car? I had no problem up to now, always changes oil...last time was 5/15/15 drove 1800 miles after that.I guess you are saying it is the coolant, but they said k=looking at it it was water,Oh well, back to the question, wouild it be possibel for the car to drive far with so much water in the system?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Let me explain. Water is heavier than oil. The engine would have to have a while, several days, for the water and oil to separate and for the water to be clear when the drain plug is removed like in the video. Either someone poured the water into the crankcase or I am not getting at the information,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm wondering is that happened...someone maybe poured water ( vandalized ) into the crankcase the night before I drove it...it stsrted a lttle rough then was fine as I drove 50 miles one way, parked and then 50 miles back....it was at the end of the 2nd 50 miles that the failue occured.So if someone did pour water in, it could have been before I took the car out, or when I parked it...is it possible based on waht you see?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or is a more plasible explaination that the mechanic poured water in to make it look like it was vandalism, thereby getting him off the hook? ( he serviced the car)
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Possible, but there would other issues like overheating, and leaks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No overheating, no leaks. It's a mystery. No steam, no smoke. No lights came on. Even the mechanic is amazed...well I'm not doing the post mortem on the engine..just getting a used one...but you have been a big help.
....
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
trying to rate you it's not functioning
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Try again later. There have been issues with this website.