James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

F350 superduty: I've got a late 99 7.3 ran fine then just died.

Customer Question

I've got a late 99 7.3 ran fine then just died. No power to fuel pump then injectors aren't buzzing when key is turned on. No blown fuses either
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've checked every fuse at least 3 times could it be the pcm
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. When you turn the key on does the glow plug light come on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it does not
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No wts light no fuel pump and no injectors
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a test light or volt meter by chance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a test light
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a chip on it and it ran fine then all the sudden it shut off. If you took the chip out it would fire right back up But now it wont
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm gettin power to all my fuses and relays in the cab and under the hood
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Fuse 30 inside the vehicle has 12volts on both sides when you have the key on correct. The way the vehicle died and how the vehicle isn't working is caused by a shorted fuel heater. These items are all powered by fuse 30 inside the vehicle. If the fuse is getting power on both sides it's possible the pcM power relay may have failed. If you swap the pcm power relay with the blower motor relay does the vehicle start. If you can do these couple of things and let me know we can dig deeper if we need to.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm pretty knowledgeable when it come to mechanics. I've tried movin relays around and still got nothing. There is a ticking noise from the idm every time I turn the key on
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
That will happen if the IDM isnt receiving full power. When you swapped relays do you know which ones you swapped? Do you have a way to test the diodes under the hood to see is the pcM diode has gone bad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've swapped the pcm relay with the blower motor relay. I do not have a way to test the diodes. Couldn't I just put a jumper wire in to see if it works or not
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
You can run a jumper or you can swap the two diodes and see if it works. The 2nd diode is for AC.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still doesn't work. I've got power to the wiring harness that run to the valve covers power to the idm but it ticks and power to all the fuses and relays but no power to the fuel pump no wait to start light and no injector Buzz
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
If you remove the pcM power relay do you get 12v on 2 pins?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Which number relay is that. I don't have a volt meter just a test light
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
I thought you swapped the PcM relay once already? I can get you a photo of the fuse panel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah I swapped it with the blower motor relay and even tried a brand new one
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Ok I thought that meant you new which relay it was. I will post a fuse diagram.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's # ***** I believe
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pm9669x9tkdzg6o/2015-06-13%2017.17.37.jpg?dl=0
Here is the diagram of the under hood fuse panel. If you remove the relay two of the pins should have power.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got power to one side of the pcm relay. Hooked a high dollar scanner up to the truck reads nothing. No power to the obd port. Id say the pcm is fired since everything else checks out
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
I would do a little more testing. Do you know which pin doesn't have power?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think there was power to any of it
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
If the pcM power relay doesn't have power the pcM can't communicate with the vehicle. You need to find out why you don't have power on the PCM power relay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm gettin power to the constant side and I'm gettin power to the key side of the pcm relay. I even have power to the back side of the pcm where you would plug a chip in at
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Ok so the pcM relay is getting power then? If you checked everything and it won't communicate you can can have a defective pcM.