Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

The other day I was driving my 2002 ford Taurus for

Customer Question

Hello.
The other day I was driving my 2002 ford Taurus for about an hour when suddenly the anti theft light flashed and than the car shuddered as if it was running out of gas, than everything was normal.
About one mile later, the anti theft light flashed again, and the vehicle died. I still have not been able to start it. Each time I turn the ignition switch, the light comes on, and the vehicle will not start. I had the vehicle towed to a ford dealership. The following day I spoke with the service dept. They said whatever the problem is it could cost up to $2,000.00. He wanted me to give authorization of $650.00 for them to begin work.
I am totally confused that they do not know what the problem is, and if they don't know what the problem is, how does he know it could cost up to 2k? Sounds fishy to me... Really, I just want my car repaired. But its not worth 2k.
Help please?
Thank you,
Renee
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Hello, all the dash lights work normally when you turn the key to on? Battery isnt discharged like a bad altenator? The Red THEFT lamp came on or a yellow antitheft light came on? Does the Red THEFT light blink with the key out of the ignition and when you turn the key on does it stay on steady for a few seconds or blink rapidly?