Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

Ranger: My 2009 Ford Ranger stranded me and

Customer Question

My 2009 Ford Ranger stranded me and won't start. The anti-theft light kept flashing. I had it towed to the dealer where I bought it brand new. They insisted that the PCM was faulty. I asked three Master ASE mechanics around town and they said no way is the PCM faulty. The Ford dealer charged me $1,500 to install a new PCM. The truck did start and run for 21 days before it stranded me again with a flashing ant-theft light. I had it towed back to the Ford dealer. They said it needed a new instrument cluster. So i paid them $600 to install a new instrument cluster. When I went to pick up my Ranger to drive it home, I put my hand on the key, and the red ant-theft light came on and it wouldn't start. It wouldn't start for the service advisor either. The Dealer has now had my truck for an extra week besides the three weeks that they had it before. They stung me for $2,100 of unnecessary repairs and still haven't fixed it. Currently, they are "working on it." I'm ready to sue the Ford Motor Company and my local Albuquerque dealer, xxxxxxx. I'm ready to scream and burn down Ford headquarters. Can you help ? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with your concerns.
Ask the to test the PATS sensor as well as the PATS system. They should be able to test it and pull up the fault codes in the unit.
Did they replace the PCM or did they replace the PATS module? Have they tried a new key for the key could have a chip that is hard to read from. It just seems odd to replace the PCM without testing it and providing documentation.
With 21 days in between repairs, you are stuck on that one unless the dealer can work something out.
On the new repairs, you can have them put the old parts back in if they find another issue besides the cluster. Have them check the sensor behind the dash for the PATS for it is most likely the fault. However I am guessing here since I can;t see the vehicle to determine otherwise.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
I see you viewed this. Were you able to talk to the dealer or are they closed over the weekend at your location?