Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Ford Technician experience. I have built many custom Fords, I also collect them.
9795573

F150: ford f150 1991 where is the fuel selecter valve

Customer Question

ford f150 1991 where is the fuel selecter valve
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
The fuel valve that operates to select which fuel tank you draw fuel from doesn't exist on the 1990 and newer F150. Let me explain how it works without one. It has a valving setup is in each of the in-tank fuel pumps modules. Ford calls the modules FDM units. The switch on the dash chooses the correct pump, a check valve in the opposite tank directs fuel to the engine, and prevents it from filling the opposing tank. This eliminates the need for an actual valve that chooses a tank to draw from. The slightly older F150's had a selector valve on the drivers side frame rail just behind the fuel pump. I believe 1989 was the last year for that setup. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.