Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

The little end of the ignition switch broke off in my 2001

Customer Question

the little tit end of the ignition switch broke off in my 2001 f350. I got the cylinder out, but the broken off part is still in behind the green plastic part.What holds that in? How do I get it out, so I can get the broken part out? Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.That green retainer just clips into the housing. Make sure you take a picture of it to remember how it goes in. Use a small metal pick to pull it out. Then there is a metal "H" retainer that is behind it. It will need to be turned to get to the removal point to where it can come out. Then you can remove the broken piece of the ignition key cylinder. The small piece slides into the gear that moves the rods for the ignition switch. Below is a section of the shop manual on how to repair this section. Read through is a section for overhauling the steering column. You only need to repair the gears.