George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

F150: I have a 1994 Ford F150 that was pulling to the right

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Ford F150 that was pulling to the right whenever I let go of the steering wheel. I took it to a Ford Dealer where they performed an alignment. The truck was still pulling to the right after the alignment. Called service writer who told me that there was nothing wrong with the alignment and that I now needed a new steering gear box which he failed to mention before. Can I trust what he is telling me?
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
Is there play in the steering or is it tight?
If the front wheels are both raised off the ground while pointed straight ahead and you start the engine does the steering move to the right?
Have you swapped the front tires side to side to see if the pull follows the tires?
Let me know so I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe there is some play in the steering. It does not feel as tight as it use to be.
Have not raised both wheels of the ground.
Have not swapped tires.
I was dumb enough to believe dealer would have done all that to correct problem.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Any play in the steering needs to be repaired, if you have a helper wiggle the steering wheel back and forth you can feel each joint as it moves, if you feel play that joint needs to be replaced.
If you feel the steering shaft rotating but the pitman arm coming out of the steering box to the linkage is not moving you need a steering box.
The other tests need to be performed before you do anything else.
Before doing an alignment the tech needs to check the linkage, steering box, ball joints and suspension connectors to be sure they are tight and should test drive the vehicle before and after the alignment to check for pull.
Please let me know how I can help you with your questions
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
I am always glad to help, please let me know if you have further questions
Thank you