Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

F-350 diesel super duty: 2006 ford super duty diesel check

Customer Question

2006 ford super duty diesel check engine light won't clear yet runs fine. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This 1st occurred while pulled no a heavy load on the highway
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.The simple answer is you either got a sensor out of spec or an intermittent condition. Since you have tried to clear the code I have to assume you know what code it is. If you will share that with me I can give you better information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't tried to clear it. In the manual it says it would go away after three start attempts.
Gotcha. It will only go away once its fixed. Is it possible to run by an autozone or something and get the codes checked? They should do it free. Dont let them sell you any parts yet.. just get the code checked and let me know what code comes up and I can let you know how to verify whatever I think the issue is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The code it come up with is p0404
That code is usually a dirty EGR valve sticking open. Pull it off and inspect the pintle and see if a chunk of carbon or something is holding it open.