Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Ford Technician experience. I have built many custom Fords, I also collect them.
9795573

Expedition: Auto headlamps dont work, interior lights don't

Customer Question

Auto headlamps dont work, interior lights don't automatically come on, radio won't shut off after car is turned off and door is opened. 2003 expedition. Fuses ok. Have had water leaking from rear side windows and think this could be related.
Category: Ford
Expert:  fordtechsuzukitech25 replied 2 years ago.
sounds like the dr ajar switch or wiring on door ajar circ. first thing i would do is get PB BLASTER or WD 40, and open the door and spray into the door latch then close and open door 5 times and spray again and close 5 times, keep doing that a couple times while the ign. is on so u can see the interior light, u will probably see the spray run out of the bottom the door, that is how much u should spray into the latch
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No luck with the PB B. If it was the door switch, wouldn't the lights come on with one of the other doors? None of the doors activate the interior lights, which come on with the dimmer switch and when the car is turned off. Again, radio won't auto turn off, auto lights don't work, interior do not come on when doors open.

im sorry without a scantool to monitor Pid's and scan for codes im going to opt out and hopefully someone can help you figure it out

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

You requested me earlier, I wasn’t available. My apologies for not being available. I do agree that the problem shouldn’t be the door switch,. There is a known problem on this model with splices behind the passenger side kick panel. There is a large wiring harness runs there. If the splices get wet they commonly loose connection and cause the symptoms you have. Many times AC condensate drain plug up and leak behind kick panel on passenger side. You mentioned a window leak, that could factor in from excessive moisture inside the vehicle. The problems can be intermittent, or consistent failures. The electrical symptoms from this problem are mainly with lighting, door locks, and radio staying on. I would open the wiring harness up, seeking the splices out and soldering them. There is a good chance this will correct the problem. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have checked the harness and it looks good. Moisture was always in the back but I agree that everything point to something there. The harness I looked at is behind the glove box. The fuse panel is at the kick panel. Am I looking at the wrong harness? What do you mean by seeking the splices out?

Open the harnesses up under the kick panel, and look for splices in the individual wires in the open harness, then solder all the splices. I would solder anywhere you see a wire spliced/crimped. Solder is the best connection method for wires. Car manufacturers don’t do it because of the added cost. There is a known problem so inspect this area good. I would check the fuse panel itself, look for melted areas where the relays plug in. You might want to remove the fuse box, the wires unplug from it at the front, check the condition of the connections where the fuse box plugs in. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.