roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

2002 ford windstar hard to start when it does start it runs

Customer Question

2002 ford windstar hard to start when it does start it runs great has 35 lbs fuel pressure f car is turned off and started back up immediately it starts right away if u wait about 3 to 4 minutes it is very hard to start I have to keep pumping pedal could it be fuel pressure regulator?
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist
it sounds like the check valve in the fuel pump which retains pressure after turning off has failed. the system goes dry from no fuel. it has to be primed all over again to start. most likely the fuel pump has failed as this valve is built into the pump itself. by the way, pumping the gas has no effect on the starting.
with your fuel pressure gauge hooked up, watch the pressure after the van turns off.
Roy