fordtechsuzukitech25
fordtechsuzukitech25, Ford Technician
Experience:  master ase certified,senior master ford certified
66379379

I have a 2001 Ford Excursion with the V10. Last week I

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2001 Ford Excursion with the V10. Last week I was driving almost at my destination, and all of the gauges went to zero. I went half a mile and then parked. When I tried to start again, the engine cranks good since it has a new battery but
the engine does not start.I had it towed to a dealer who said it was the fuel pump (4th one and they wanted 1300.00). I said enough is enough and had it towed home. A mechanic friend put in a new fuel pump. Still, the engine does not start. The needles stay
at zero as well. The inertia switch when pressed acts like it is spring loaded and just pops back up again. Would one problem have anything a all to do with the other? Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  fordtechsuzukitech25 replied 1 year ago.
first thing I would do is disconnect the inertia swith and jump the two terminals with a paper clip or jumper wire(make sure neither touch the body)and see what happens, also use a test light(12 volt tester)and see if there is 12 volts to one of the wires. one more thing through the drivers rear wheel opening there may be a fuel pump driver module mounted on the frame buy the spare tire, if it has this module u can usually use a long prybar or something to smack it, 9 out of ten times it will start at least 2 or 3 times until it acts up, if it starts after tapping on it then it needs driver module, if it doesn't u may still need it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected the inertia to determine if it was working. When I thumped it in my hand, the switch popped up. I clicked it back down and repeated this process 5 times. The vehicle still did not start when the switch was reset. But what I did notice when I tried starting the truck, not one of the guage needles so much as flickered as the key was turned and the engine cranking. Ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The spare tire is located inside the left rear interior. Not sure now what i am looking for.
I'm sorry I was thinking f-150, I would first check all fuses,engine compartment and inside. any chance u can run a network test and scan every module with a scantool? if there is no communication with a module it can keep vehicle from starting, also does red theft light come on or blink
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No red light and dont have a scan tool. No action electrical at all to dashboard display. The mechanical friend of mine who replaced the fuel pump checked the fuses. The box is getting juice including the fuel pump relay. From the fuse panel....nothing. The battery is new and pumping out the voltage.
I would pull the cluster and make sure there is power and ground to the cluster, if u have 12 volts and ground where u r suppose to then it would have to be cluster, if u r missing a power or a ground then it will be a wire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Assuming that is it, would that stop the truck from starting?
possible but I don't think so, without a scan tool, fuel press. tester, spark tester and checking the compression, its going to take awhile, is there any way your mechanic friend can check for those things, and have him write down his findings, im sorry but we need to no what we have and what we don't have