EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Freestar: I have a 2006 freestar with 150k miles with front

Customer Question

I have a 2006 freestar with 150k miles with front and back A/C. Just a day ago the rear A/C started acting funny (front A/C still works fine). When you turn on the rear A/C after the car has been off, the rear A/C works for a few minutes, then it starts blowing hot air from the rear A/C vents. After the car has been off a while, like while you're in a store, the rear A/C blows cold air again after you start the car. but then again in a few minutes, it starts blowing hot air, like the rear heater is on. It even seems to make a different sort of sound form what the rear A/C normally sounds like when it is operating, more like what the rear heater sounds like. What would be causing this and is it fixable?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your concern today. Please rate my assistance after we have concluded chatting.
There is a component called the expansion valve in the rear. It opens and closes and allows freon to flow through the evaporator core in the rear, causing a/c. This valve commonly sticks and does not regulate the amount of freon flow through the evaporator. It is fixable and the valve is part of the rear evaporator.
Please respond to let me know if you need more info. I also have access to workshop manual information for removal and installation if you need that. Thanks, Eric
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for viewing my response. DO you need more assistance getting your a.c. working? Do you have any more questions? Please let me know and rate the service provided. Thanks.