Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford Tempo: Ford Tempo, 1993, 2.3 liter 4 cyl. Problem: Whining

Customer Question

Ford Tempo, 1993, 2.3 liter 4 cyl.
Problem: Whining noise originating from distributor.
Solution: Purchased new distributor from Ford Dealer
Is this appropriate for an individual without much experience to replace? My mechanic wants to charge $100.00, should I choose mechanic on DIY? I have some basic tools unable to check timing.
Steps:
1-Disconect battery cable
2-Remove distributor rotor and cap, disconnect ICM cable
3-Note position of distributor.
4-Remove distributor hold down bolt
5-Pull distributor out. (any hints to avoid trouble)
6-Remove ICM module, do you recommend buying a new ICM module? ICM module has known issues. (AIRTEX / WELLS Part # *****)
7-Install ICM module into new distributor (any hints or suggestions)
8-Insert distributor into engine noting position when old distributor was removed, could be slightly off, if the same distributor were re-installed easier to determine position.
9-Install bolt down clamp, assemble rest of stuff (rotor cap etc)
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
Replacing the distributor should be something you can do, the trick is to remove the distributor cap and bump the engine around till the rotor is pointed right at the #1 position on the cab. Once its lined up, its just a mater of unbolting the distributor and removing the old distributor. You may have to work it back a forth a little to get it up and out due to sludge that build up on them. Once its out install the new unit with the rotor exactly in the same position and you should be fine, you will then want to remove the timing connector( SPOUT) and set the base timing at 10 degrees before top dead center. Reinstall the timing connector and you good to go. There should be no reason to have to replace the ICM as long as its starts okay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
bump the engine around till the rotor is pointed right at the #1 position on the cab Were is the #1positiontiming connector( SPOUT) and set the base timing at 10 degrees before top dead center.
Where is the spout connector?
The car 1993 Ford Tempo starts fine but if my understanding is correct, the ICM module tends to fail for that model year.I have a 91 merc topaz that had would not start in the winter , replacing the charged air temp sensor improved the condition a lot to the point of being able to start in the winter, but still not perfect, mechanic checked everything else, should I suspect a flaky ICM module, again this might be another question do you want a separate request?I will view answer in a few hours busy
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
The #1 cylinder should be marked on the cap or you can locate it by following the 1 one spark plug wire over to where it connects on the cap. The SPOUT connector is the two wire connector tapped to the harness at the ICM connector. I would still not suspect a failing ICM , in most cases they either work or don't, the problem my be the Stator (hall effect switch) which is inside of the distributor and your replacing it anyways with the new distributor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ron: I was not able to remove the distributor hold down nut, is a special tool required, what size wrench? (metric)
Best place to buy wrench to do this job, if wrench is too long may touch the fan shroud etc. I trues a socket wrench from a friend at work, the height of the wrench prevented me from inserting it, I tried the socked itself by hand to determine size
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
If memory serves me right it is a 15mm wrench that you need to remove it. They make a special wrench for doing this that most tool supply stores will have.