Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I thought I ran out of gas when my car died going down highway

Customer Question

I thought I ran out of gas when my car died going down highway recently. After putting more gas, car wouldn't start, only made clicking noise. Could not jumpvit off. Pulled it home. I was told I needed new alternator, had it tested. It was bad. So I replaced It. Also had battery tested. It had to be charged. Now it cranks but just wont start. I can hear fuel pump start to run when I turn key to on position, so I don't think it's that. But do the problems I'm having sound like I could have a bad starter? Or do you have any troubleshooting advice to find the source of the not staring problem?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw it's an 2001 Ford Taurus
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Being the engine cranks, the starter is fine. Do you know how to verify there is ignition spark and injector pulse. I believe there was more than one issue. Currently I am leaning towards a cam or crank sensor failure.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know how to verify there is ignition spark and injector pulse. But if u can explain I'm sure I could. Also I should let u know about 3 weeks ago another car hit mine while I was driving. Damaging the passenger fender area by tire. Shortly after the was fluid shooting out under the hood. I believe it was coolant. I had to replace the coolant recovery reservoir because it was damaged.
Hi Sure I can help on this. For ignition spark, we need to remove a plug wire from a spark plug, Hold the plug wire tip near engine ground, crank the engine and see if there is spark occurring. You want to see at least a 1/2 inch spark occur. Now for the injector pulse, unplug an injector and plug up a noid light in its place. They are about 5$ at a parts store. While cranking the light should flash rapid. Was this coolant loss, yellow or green and similar to water or was it oily, possibly red?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looked like rusty water.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll get the noid light & try both tests
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting spark & fuel.
Rusty water is most likely coolant and the fact its rusty is a good sign there is corrosion inside the engine and a flush, water pump, and thermostat are needed.