James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Escape: 2010 Ford Escape 4x4 xlt. Having trouble with my ac.

Customer Question

2010 Ford Escape 4x4 xlt. Having trouble with my ac. stopped working my clutch was not engaging. Tried to recharge an nothing i guessed it was to low to engage so i tried bypassing to recharge. I located s diagram i thing from a 2008 and located the relay 20 n put a paper clip on pins 3 & 5 dont know if it was the right ones. the clutch engaged but as soon as it did, it blew freon an oil n detecter thru the back of the compressor thru what it looks like a relief valve for about 5-8 seconds. Then it working find. then finished charging the rest on the can. and it worked for 3-4 hours and the pressure went down. looks like a small leak but dont know where i washed everthing and recarged with leak detecter and more freon. pressure was low and clutch only engaged once in a while. bypass it again for alittle bit and again started to blow stuff a took the pin off. thats when I nothing that it was from that hexed looking like valve on the back of the compressor. Do i just need to tighten that up or I screwed it up because it was the wrong pins I bypassed?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for,choosing just answer. Do you have a manual set of gauges or just the gauge on a can of freon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just a gauge on that came with a can actually i have two of the same an they both say in the middle when enough freon is in and working

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The relief valve on the compressor is a safety valve is the high side pressure gets to high. This relief is set somewhere between 400-450psi which is a lot of pressure. It sounds like the low side might be normal but the high side isn't. I would find a gauge set so you can see if something is wrong with the high pressure. Other than low freon if the high side pressure is excessive the compressor will shut off also. This is to protect the system from damage. I think the high side of your system has the problem and not so much a low charge. To be on the safe side I wouldn't add any more freon until you can see the high side pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i will, but other than that, if im bypassing the cutch, im in using the right pins for this car, 3 & 5? why does it blow out when I do it? is there something I can tighten on that relief valve? it looks like a hex nut.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the leak is not on the relief valve? U think is somewhere else?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
When you jump pins 3&5 you are forcing the compressor to run and bypassing the pcM. This will make the compressor cycle regardless of the freon level. When you low side says its low it can be a restriction on the high side causing a low pressure reading on the low side. That is why you want to test pressure on high and low side for proper operation. If the high side is reading a normal pressure I would suspect an issue with the relief valve on the compressor.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand! I will rate you a good rating. My still levels are high since i have relaced condensers, lines, compressors before but only on my own cars. I just dont understand the pressure stuff since i dont do it often only when needed! I just bought a gage so i will test the high n low n get back to to u. I need help since i already sent money n time on this n dont want to take to a shop. Thanks!
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
That's not a problem at all. If you have a gauge set I can help you out a lot more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the ac is not on and the clutch is not engaged but the low says 50 psi and high 425 psi

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Your high side is extremely high. If that what the pressure is before you start the vehicle as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dont know u want to turn it off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

actually i had the relay off so the clutch was not engaing. i turn the car off same readings. I put the relay on turn in on and it clutch engaged. readings are low 40 psi and high 300psi.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when the the radiator fan turns off the high goes to 30psi and when it turns on it goes back to 0

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The high side is very high. When the car is off for several minutes the two pressures should equalize to outside temp or be pretty close to outside temp. The pressure you are getting one cause is being overcharged. You can be overcharged since you added some but I don't think that is the original concern. Do you have a vacuum pump where you can evacuate the system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the reason i added is because the clutch was not engaing i had bypass it to add to it and i did it blew thru the relief valve twice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the car is been off for 30 40 mins what readings should I look for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

should i be looking at the pointy end? becasue if I do it doent make any sense is there a way I can send pics?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
With the vehicle off the readings should show outside temp on high and low side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But whre on the gage shoukd i be lloning at? Its got many numbers!
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Both high and low side gauge should be the exact same with the engine off b
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But what number should be the same? If i look at the outside numbers black low says is 30 and high is 425 if if im looking at the pointy part of the handle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can i send u a pic? if high side is too high then what to do?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
You are reading it correctly. You are going to have to evacuate and recharge the system to the correct level and retest the pressures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i can do that but why this happened just like that? it wasworking find and then it stopped? is there a leak where freon is coming out or air coming in? cuz i dont want to evacuate and recharge n have the same problem later. thanks1

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Without evacuating the freon you have no way to know how much is in the system. I think you may have a faulty compressor. When you added freon it wouldn't blow out the relief valve if it was low. If it was low it also wouldn't read such a high pressure.