James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

If the battery goes completely dead on a 2009 Escape, and the

Customer Question

If the battery goes completely dead on a 2009 Escape, and the battery is then replaced after an interval of zero voltage, the engine will not start until the electronics are rebooted. I have done engine rebuilds and many other overhauls, but do not know how to do this "zero-voltage-recovery" reboot. What does it entail?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. I guess I'm not sure what you mean by recovery. Once you install a new battery there is no wait time. The modules will wake up as soon as they see battery voltage. You can get in start the vehicle and drive away. If I'm not understanding you completely please let me know. You can update this page if you have more questions. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the battery is removed without a backup voltage supply, the vehicle cannot be restarted or jumped with external battery. Turning the ignition key does not make the starter relay click. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who had it for 5 days. They told me that the starter was failed, on both occasions. Does a dead battery destroy the starter? I don't think so. In my case, I think that a module does not reboot after zero voltage, but I have no way of testing the modules, or the rest of the electrical system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess that it is just a lemon. F-minus to Ford on this issue.