Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

350 superduty: , Ive got a blueprinted 7.3, compound

Customer Question

hey there, Ive got a blueprinted 7.3, compound turbos dual hpop's and 1500 miles. the guy i had mock up compounds hooked the GTX 4788 Garrett to the hpop res. I damaged all 4 gears. I,ve got all parts. I know I can get crank and hopfully cam gear on by putting them in oven 400 degrees, Tpa on. My problem is i've not yet researched the valve timing to pull gears, as there is a few degrees of twist on the gears i dont want valve contact during proceedure. I,ve got a radical cam with mild lift but high ramp speed. Is TDC good for safe position to pull cam gear first. I just welded puller bolts on and I'm ready
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Ford does not have a step for only replacing the cam or timing gears so there is nothing mentioned about where to get the engine before disassembly and assembly to prevent valve damage. I would play it safe and remove the rocker arms so all the valves are retracted.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris