Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

F150: My 2009 2x4 f150 started clattering after an oil change.

Customer Question

My 2009 2x4 f150 started clattering after an oil change. Now they saying the crankshaft is making the noise. Did a bad oil change cause this ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** it did not start clattering until the oil was changed, it is most likely the VVT system clattering, do you know what weight of oil they used?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mobile 1 Synthetic 5W-20. The harmonizer is moving around causing the noise. I saw the serpentine belt wiggling there, so I pulled it and re-started the truck. The clattering was still there, without anything else hooked up. Now the engine is shaking, and the check engine light just came on. I drove it about 600 miles since the oil change. Could something have gone awry with the oil change without a gauge or sensor indicating it until the crankshaft was messed up? Did those guys break my truck?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
that is the correct weight of oil for this, if it was full, then I dont see them being responsible for the noise, if a different weight was used, then yes, but this is the correct weight,Tim