Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Thunderbird: 1967 Thunderbird: I'm trying to change the power

Customer Question

1967 Thunderbird: I'm trying to change the power brake booster. Should I unbolt the booster bracket at the booster first or at the firewall?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

You can do it eaither way depending on which one is the easiest to access. Once you remove the linkage from the break pedal it should come off, if you remove it from the firewall then transfer the bracket to the new booster.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Shoot I was hoping you knew which side was easiest - I'll flip a coin. How and where do you remove the linkage from the brake pedal?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
I usually do the firewall side, I find it easier as long as you have a short extension and a wobbly socket.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How and where do you remove the linkage from the brake pedal?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
You will find the booster connects to the top of the break pedal under the dash, it should have a pin clip you have to remove and then it slides off the pedal along with the break switch, there are also 4 studs that mount the booster to the firewall that are accessed from under the dash as well, you can get both while your under there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you double check on those studs? The booster is mounted to a bracket. The booster bracket is mounted to the firewall via studs and nuts - and I've already successfully removed one bracket-to-firewall stud by accessing that stud from the engine bay. I can't see that stud being accessible from under the dash.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Okay then get under the ash and pull the pin on the top of the break pedal and slide the rod and the brake switch off and the booster should come off. You have removed the outside bolts which works as well. See the diagram in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Booster%20Jun%205.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Maybe you mean the arm the brake pedal is attached to?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is what Im saying, the booster rod hooks to the break pedal arm at the top along with the break switch, The break pedal and arm are one assembly.