Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

F250 super duty: 2005 f250 5.4 ticking noise on the right side.

Customer Question

2005 f250 5.4 ticking noise on the right side. gets louder when under a load,can't hardly here it at idle. It's the loudest in the fender well. Had it on a scanner all cylinders are good and show no timing issues. No lack of performance or rough idle,just making noise. Sounds a lot like an exhaust leak at the manifold but couldn't find any. Any ideas what to look for ?
135000 miles well maintained.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Scott
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
It sure sounds like from your description that the exhaust manifold is noisy.What we do is take a piece of 5/8 heater hose, have someone put the vehicle in gear and load the engine until the noise can be heard, then take the heater hose held up to your ear, move slowly over the manifold area, and when you find the leak the hose will pick up the point where it is leaking. You may have a broken manifold stud to head, it may be there, but it could be fractured causing the manifold to leak.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Any more questions just ask, thanks Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That was the first thing I looked at because I had put the new cats on. I not only listened but looked for discoloration and used smoke to find a leak. I can only do it for 10 min. with the truck in gear and the brake on and the engine at 1400 rpm. The transmission temp. goes to high. It is quiet at idle or if you rev it in park. It doesn't even make noise at a steady speed , its only when I put a load on it. So any other things to look for??

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried the heater hose trick? Does the noise go away or change when the vehicle warms up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it's the same in the morning when I first leave and doesn't change when the engine is up to temp.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I would try a stethoscope on both sides of the engine to see which side it is coming from, we have replaced quite a few timing chains, lash adjusters and phasers in these vehicles, maybe you have a cam phaser knocking. Usually the phasers will knock at idle, since yours is under load, I still suspect a exhaust manifold concern. I have seen one vehicle that blew the head gasket out and it sounded like a exhaust leak also. The test with the stethoscope and or heater hose will pinpoint the noise. Let me know what you find, thanks Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I will check it again tomorrow after work. It's 10:15 pm here now. The only concern I have when checking is the trans. temp going in the yellow or red part of the gauge while I'm running it in gear at 1400 rpm. Which is the lowest that the noise can be heard.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, don't overheat the transmission, no sense making 2 problems. Let me know what you find, thanks Scott