Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

FORD CROWN VIC 4.6L: ,Just replaced Throttle Body on our

Customer Question

Just replaced Throttle Body on our 2009 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L.
Replaced it with a new packed Aftermarket Throttle Body Assembly (complete with Motor & TPS) similar to the O.E Throttle body assembly.
However there seems to be some problem after replacing it.
First day the throttle Body assembly worked fine but then from second day, the car starts but doesn’t take any Gas, Does not move at all on pressing the Throttle pedal.
I then reinstalled the old OE Throttle Body & the vehicle worked fine again.
The part seller says that the Throttle Body is Fine & you may need to perform a relearn procedure on Installation else error codes might appear like P2112 (Throttle Open Stuck ….). However another friend of mine says this is not correct so I a somewhat confused.
I would like to know :-
- Is the problem due to the faulty New Throttle Body or something else? How come it worked fine initially and then something went wrong. How come the old OE Throttle Body works fine when reinstalled again.
- How can you know if there is Problem in Throttle Body, I mean is there any way to check if the replaced new Throttle Body assembly is defective or not good? I can then also convince the seller that the Throttle Body assembly is defective.
- Is it mandatory to perform relearn procedure for installing a new Throttle Body on all Ford Crown Vic OR is it required just in my case? Why don’t you need to perform a relearn procedure on installing back the OE throttle Body?
- How do you perform the relearn procedure?
Look forward to your kind answers & Information.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Your old throttle body works good so we can rule out a wire or module issue.It worked fine on day one.. wouldnt you agree that rules out it needing programmed?Unless this thing has a time sensor in it that ruins it after a day of use I think its safe to say you got a defective part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Reply!
As the Throttle Body seller suggested us to follow a relearn procedure for Installation for this Non OEM Throttle Body. For my knowledge ,I would like to know if it is necessary /mandatory for all Ford Crown Vics to Follow relearn procedure on Installation of a replacement Non OE Throttle Body?
The seller says that it worked fine on first day because the PCM behavior was fine then but once you switch off the vehicle for long (during Night) and restart again next morning, by then the PCM memory is not able to figure out the readings correctly from Newly Installed Throttle Body hence the Malfunction. But if relearn procedure is followed the PCM can work fine with the installed Throttle Body everytime.
I would like to know ,Is it mandatory to perform the relearn procedure for installing a new replacement Throttle Body on all Ford Crown Vics & How do you perform the relearn procedure for Throttle Body Installation?
Thanks
What they are probably referring to is clearing the keep alive memory. That would be for the fuel trims being off.. not for the throttle body being completely unresponsive. The procedure for aftermarket is no different than OEM. Just a moment.. Ill get you OEM instructions.
InstallationInstall a new gasket, the TBand the 4 bolts.Tighten the bolts in 2 stages.Stage 1: Tighten to 9 Nm (80 lb-in).Stage 2: Rotate an additional 90 degrees.Connect the electronic throttle control and the TPsensor electrical connectors.Install the ACLoutlet pipe.
If you want to clear the keep alive memory unhook both battery cables and hold the metal ends of the cables together for a full 60 seconds. This will drain any residual power in the modules and clear the keep alive memory. If you need to lie to the seller tell him you had a mechanic clear the keep alive memory with a scan tool. I got a feeling if you tell him how you did it hes gonna claim that isnt the right way and you have to do it with a scan tool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Quick & Informative Reply ...... so essentially this means that THE RELEARN PROCEDURE IS NOT MANDATORY for installing an aftermarket Throttle Body. RIGHT?
No. Clearing the keep alive memory is done to reset the idle adaptive strategy (long term fuel trims) to adjust for differences in old and new parts that cause a high/low or erratic idle. Its a good idea to do it anytime you do anything that would affect the air/fuel ratio.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thanks again... that means I would be better off if I performed the relearn procedure after Installing the Replacement Throttle Body. Right?
Nope. Its not gonna fix a bad part. But it is a good idea to make sure you dont end up with a high, low or erratic idle. The PCM will eventually adapt to the new one anyway it just takes longer if you dont clear the keep alive memory first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Got it, Thanks!!
Btw is there any Ford malfunction code which can detect a defective Throttle Body replacement ?
I mean like the Ford error code P2112 (Throttle Open Struck) ... is it in case of defective Throttle Body replacement!
Im attaching a code list. Look at p2000 from there most of the next 35 codes are throttle body related.