A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Ford expedition 5.4l: I have 2005 ford expedition. It idles

Customer Question

I have 2005 ford expedition. It idles rough when stopped. P012 is the code that showed up on the ddiagnostic meter. Changed oil pressure sensor. It still has the issue. What else should I look for?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
If you have not replaced the VCT solenoids and camshaft phasers, now would be a good time. The code P0012 - Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Retarded (Bank 1) which is the passenger side. These 5.4L three valve engines are prone to camshaft phaser failure along with the timing chain tensioners leaking causing the timing chains to rattle at start up. Since you will have to replace the passenger side camshaft phaser and VCT solenoid to fix this code, and you have to pull the valve covers and the timing chain cover, also called the engine front cover, it would be good to install the Ford updated parts to repair the problem. I would also recommend the Ford parts, as the aftermarket ones are based on the original phasers and some are just reconditioned parts, which will fail again.
You will have to replace the timing chains tensioners, both VCT solenoids and both camshaft phasers to properly fix this engine and you will not have to repair this problem again.
The camshaft phasers are oil pressure controlled by the VCT solenoids to retard or advance the camshafts to control tail pipe emissions and improve engine performance since Ford has stopped using the EGR valve on this engine.