Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Ford f150: Have a 2010 F150 super cab, rusting out from water

Customer Question

Have a 2010 F150 super cab, rusting out from water damage because of third breaklight leaking.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Unfortunately the warranty that you agreed to when you bought the truck specifically excludes rust damage. The dealer will not cover it because ford (and your agreement with ford) say that they are not responsible therefore the dealer would have to pay out of their own pocket for what would be considered neglect.If you still have the paperwork from when you bought it you can find this section in the warranty paperwork. Damage Caused by Use and/or the Environment The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover surface rust, deterioration and damage of paint, trim, upholstery, and other appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements. You, as the owner, are responsible for these items.Some examples are: • dings, dents • cuts, burns, punctures or tears • road salt • tree sap, bird and bee droppings • windstorm, lightening, hail • earthquake • freezing, water or flood • stone chips, scratches (some examples are on paint and glass) • windshield stress cracks. However, limited coverage on windshield stress cracks will be provided for the first 12 months in service, regardless of miles driven, even though caused by use and/or exposure to the elements. Sorry for the bad news here but I dont want to try to get your hopes up knowing that ford has no obligation to do anything about it. All you can really do is speak with your money. Find another dealer for your next new truck purchase
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was not due to my neglect! This was due to the third break light not being sealed properly. Ford is aware of the break light defect and is doing a "silent" recall. That has been fixed by ford as a "courtesy". The problem is because of that defect, water built up between the cab and rusted through. I thought there was a 5 year rust warranty for 2010 F-150's.
That covers holes that are completely rusted through within 5 years. Can you see light through the rust? Its fairly unlikely. Im not saying its neglect... Im saying ford will say its neglect since you didnt get it fixed right away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is completely rusted through......of course they will say it is my fault. I am asking if you know how to get them to honor the warranty for faulty third break light defect causing the rust through. I only noticed when it rusted through from the inside out. I currently have several Fords.....never had a rust problem....all are much older than 2010. Appeared before 5 years.
Start by contacting corporate at 1-***-***-**** and file a complaint. They wont help but that gets it recorded. Then file a BBB complaint against both the dealer and Ford. That will get someone from the corporate office that can actually do something to contact you. Then go from there. If that doesnt get you resolution file a small claims court case against ford.