Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford Explorer: A/C question. I have a 2000 Ford Explorer,

Customer Question

A/C question. I have a 2000 Ford Explorer, V6. On initial idle, a/c blows very cold. As you are driving, the faster you go, the hotter it gets. To the point you can hardly touch the vent. The compressor is cycling normally, the drier is sweating cold, the low side reads 35psi (while running and max air), and no visual leaks. Any ideas ? Thanks..Bill from Argo, AL.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
In most cases if the accumulator is staying nice and cold and you getting hot air out of the vents that usually means you have either a failing blend doo and or the blend door actuator. I would start first with removing the actuator and see if you can manually close the door and if the cold air returns then suspect the actuator is failing.
Let me know if you have more questions and or need more information and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron, thanks for your answer. The actuator doesn't appear to be working. However, I've managed to close the blend door with no change in the a/c. Please allow me another day or so to correct the actuator issue and I'll get back with you. A cut away of the vent box where the blend door is located would be helpful. Getting the a/c fixed on the cheap would be well worth the few dollars being asked for. Thanks....Bill
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If closing the door did not change the temp then the door is likely broken. Unfortunately I do not have a cutaway of the door.