Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

I have a 2003 Focus 2.0 split port and all of a sudden

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2003 Focus 2.0 split port and all of a sudden I have a very loud exhaust and engine noise with some clicking and vibration. When I attempt to drive it, it bogs down tremendously, to the point that the car will barely drive. Down hill is better! lol Changed plugs/wires/coil pack. . .
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
greetings,
This engine is know for cylinder head problems. We need to see if there is a compression loss in any other the cylinders. The split ports cylinder heads can drop the seats and the valves hot the piston. When you replaced the spark plugs did any look damaged?
most compression testers are cheap and many parts places will rent or lend out tools.
Lets start here
good luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, one of the plugs was slightly damaged, where the ground electrode had been curled up into the central electrode. . .
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to have to tell you this but more than likely you will need a new engine. I almost all the cases I know or have seen with this engine when the valve seat drops it causes the valve to stay open and when the piston comes up it damages the cylinder head and cylinder block. you might find a used engine but they might have the same issue unless the cylinder head was upgraded. I see one off an internet rebuild company for 2,000.00
I will try to find an engine if you tell me where you are.
thanks