Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Ford Expedition: I just purchased a 2014 expedition. The check

Customer Question

I just purchased a 2014 expedition. The check brake system light came on when test driving but the service team could not find a reason why. It continues to come on and off staying on when highway driving. The dealer is looking into it but will it harm my brakes if I continue to drive it? It has plenty of brake fluid and the parking brake is released all the way.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
It is unlikely to cause damage to the brakes themselves. There are several things that could cause the light to come on normally and, of course, there is always the possibility of an unusual failure like a pinched wire or bad ground. If the brakes feel normal and act normally then you are unlikely to do damage. But I would tell you, as I hope the dealer did, if the brakes do anything strange - fade, pedal drop, chatter, vibrate, etc., stop driving it immediately and get it back to them, there is always a slight (very slight) possibility the brakes could fail, so just be aware and don't put yourself in danger.