John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  22 years of Ford service, and Ford senior master certified in diesel, gasoline and hybrid vehicles
33610027

F-450: I scanned a 2008 F-450. 6.4L Diesel.Towed in after running

Customer Question

I scanned a 2008 F-450. 6.4L Diesel.Towed in after running out of fuel. After filling tank engine will not fire. Several codes are present but P1260 I can not find info how to clear.
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Crouch replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question.
If you know for certain that they ran it out of fuel, I will take for granted that it has misfire codes and fuel system codes stored in it as well. What I would recommend at this point is to ignore them and get the fuel system bled out and get it running again.
Once you get fuel in the tank, on the fuel cooler on the drivers side top of the engine there is a valve that looks like a tire valve that should have a green valve stem cap on it. this is the bleeding port. Hook up a fuel pressure tester (I use a snap on branded one), the tester should have a valve and a drain hose to get the air out of the tool. open the valve and put the drain hose in a container to catch the fuel that comes out of it. cycle the key several times until you get fuel coming out of the tube with NO air bubbles in it. Just keep turning the key from off to on and the fuel pump will run for around 30 seconds until it shuts off. If the guy has not changed his fuel filters this would be a good time to do that as well. Once you get to the point you have no air in the line. shut off the valve and try to start the truck. you may have to do this a few times to get it to actually start. Once you get it started hit the throttle a few times to help get the last air out of the system and all should be good. clear all codes, and road test and recheck to see if any codes come back, then address them.
If you need more information or have more questions, just respond and I will reply just as soon as I can.
Once again, thank you for using Just Answer and have a great day.