Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Edge: WE have a 2006 Edge that is on the recall gas tank.

Customer Question

WE have a 2006 Edge that is on the recall for a gas tank. The vehicle sat at the dealership since late December until late March waiting for a replacement tank. The dealership replaced the tank with a "temporary" tank until full y manufactured units become available. 4 weeks after the Edge was returned to us the steering hoses rotting out and leaking. Can this be attributed to the vehicle sitting for 4 months.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
I wish I could tell you yes, but the reality is that power steering hoses fail because of constant pressurization in use and the loss of pressure when you turn the vehicle off. This constant flexing will eventually cause the fittings and/or the hose itself to fail, creating a leak. Extreme heat can also cause it, like a poorly routed hose too close to exhaust. I wish I could make a case for you but power steering hoses made in 1960 are still sitting on shelves and are perfectly serviceable.