Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

F-150: Tire makes loud creaking sound when brake. Took to Firestone

Customer Question

Tire makes loud creaking sound when brake. Took to Firestone they couldn't figure it out?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Does the creaking sound like old bed springs creaking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

That is what I thought. There is only one cause of this type of noise, the balljoints, usually the lower one.

The problem is that most shops check them while they are 6ft in the air on a lift, which is incorrect. The front end should only be jacked up 1 to 2". Then while one person watches the balljoints, another person places a 6ft breaker bar or 2x4 between the ground and the tire and lift up on the tire. If there is any vertical play in the balljoint where it goes thru the control arm or thru the steering knuckle, it should be replaced. It only takes 1/16" play to create that noise. What you hear is the balljoint metal touching the inside of the steering knuckle hole and this metal to metal sound is the creaking noise.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wouldn't that be more of a suspension sound rather than a brake? Also could I lube it myself. I've spent enough money on my piece of crap f-150.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

Suspension noises can be triggered by braking. When you brake, your vehicle's front end noses down some, which increases the load on the suspension, including the balljoints. And the slowing down in and of itself, increase load on front suspension - basic physics of for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. The mass and load put on the front end during any braking sequence means there is an equal reaction to it from the suspension. This load on a weak balljoint causes it to move within the steering knuckle.

Been doing this for over 30 yrs now and creaking noise in every case has always been one thing - balljoints.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

As far as lubing it, from the factory, the balljoint is sealed and no way to lube it. The replacement ones will have a zirc fitting to grease it periodically, but factory ones dont

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks