fordtechsuzukitech25
fordtechsuzukitech25, Ford Technician
Experience:  master ase certified,senior master ford certified
66379379

F-150: "F-150 vibrating, especially between 40-50mph when accelerating.

Customer Question

"F-150 vibrating, especially between 40-50mph when accelerating. Runs at low rpm idle. Changed spark plugs, vct solenoids. Going to try cam phasers."
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.

I assume your blaming this vibration on the engine based on the repairs you have done and are wanting to do. Have you had a power balance test ran to rule out a coil going bad.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I have not had a power balance test. It always vibrated before I changed solenoids but now after I changed the solenoids its vibrating louder. The timing chain looked fine so it can't be that. Only thing I could think of why its doing this is the can phasers causing timing problems.

You said vibrating louder in your reply. Is this a noise or feeling concern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Feeling and noise

Can you go into more detail on both so I can imagine what your experiencing, like sound, and feel, where you feel it and where it appears to be coming from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Feel it in the cab, engine runs rough like its shaking every time the pistons move.,definitely the engine though

Unless there are cam timing codes, I would pass on looking into timing issues and have the test run to check the coils.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The car starts up fine no misfires. I seriously doubt the coils would be the problem. Plus they looked fine to me when I changed the plugs. I got a p0206 code after the solenoids were changed not sure why.

You can not test a coil by visually looking at it nor with a DVOM. It takes a diagnostic tool.

Would you like the diag steps for that code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

None of the problems I'm having are pointing to a coil.

It seems we are making no progress and wasting each others time. I will opt out now and let someone else help.

Expert:  fordtechsuzukitech25 replied 1 year ago.
sounds like a broken valve spring have seen a bunch, tricky part is finding which one, u really cant see it with the valve covers removed, the easiest way to tell is doing a running compression test, u take shrader valve out of a compression tester and check each cylinder one at a time, while its idling it should have half the cranking compression so u will need to do both