A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Escape: My son and I have been trying to diagnose and correct

Customer Question

My son and I have been trying to diagnose and correct the problem with his 2002 ford escape. It has lost power can't go over 50 and a few times has stalled completely while driving.
He had a P320 code and changed the #4 ignition coil and plug Didn't help, went to Midas and guy there said change all 6 coils and plugs. Did that and now worse.
We looked extensively for a vacuum leak when manifold was off, couldn't find.
Any suggestionl
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

P0320 is for loss or PIP or crankshaft position sensor. Check the Sensor on the front of the engine by the crankshaft pulley. Make sure it is plugged in securely and also make sure there is no oil or crud built up in the connector and the harness. Clean everything up and clear the codes and then retest.. If concern still present, change the sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry code was 354 not 320.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

P0354 is for the coil driver failure for cylinder #4 which is internal in the PCM.

Make sure you have power to the connector for the #4 coil while the key is turned to on and check for power on the

WHITE/VIOLET striped wire and a pulsed ground on the WHITE/PINK striped wire while the engine is running.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If it is the coil driver #4 in the PCM can just this be replaced or does the entire PCM need to be replaced?

Does it need to be reprogrammed after? and is Ford dealer only place to get this done?

thanks

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The coil driver is internal in the PCM, it cannot be replaced without replacing the PCM. The new one will have to be programed to the vehicle and you will need 2 keys that start the vehicle as they will also need to be programed at the same time.