EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Ford escape: Ford escape runs great but shut it off come back

Customer Question

Ford escape runs great but shut it off come back will not restart had it towed next day fired right up?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your concern today. Please rate my assistance after we have concluded chatting.
After you shut it off and it will not restart, does the engine crank over and not start? or does the engine not even crank over when you turn the key to start? Please respond to let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine cranks over its like no spark or gas
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. First thing to verify, is that the anit-theft light on the dash is not blinking rapidly when this happens. That would indicate a problem with the anti-theft system.
It would be more likely to have no fuel then spark. What has to happen, is when the vehicle will not start, the fuel pressure needs to be checked with a gage. If you do not have a gage, the next option would be to spray some starting fluid into the intake while cranking to see if the engine attempts to start.
If that is the case, you may need a fuel pump or there is a problem with power being sent to the fuel pump.
Please respond with your further questions or comments. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Power to the fuel pump maybe we sprayed and seemed like it wants to start. Next day fires right up and runs great. This is the second time it has done it. Do they get vaper locked?People on line have replaced fuel pump filter etc. and still have same problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's like something gets to warm and shuts off when it cools down it works agin if that makes sense.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
No they do not get vapor locked. Generally people online just replace parts. They through a fuel pump in, but there may be no power to the pump. So of course, they will have the same problem. That is why I recommend you verify if you have fuel pressure and power to the fuel pump when this concern is present. Is this something that you can do yourself? Also I mentioned verifying the anti-theft light.