John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  22 years of Ford service, and Ford senior master certified in diesel, gasoline and hybrid vehicles
33610027

F250: I have a 2000 F250 4x4 with 7.3 powerstroke a 6" lift

Customer Question

I have a 2000 F250 4x4 with 7.3 powerstroke a 6" lift and toyo 37x13.5r20 tires. I'm running factory 3.73 gears but my rear pinion finally gave and started chucking teeth after 250k miles. Would like to regear front and back. But after spending hours on forums I got some guys saying 4.10s, some 4.30s and some 4.56s. I personally feel that with my being on a highway at least once a day, that the 4.56s would leave me running to high of rpm. So my question is... 4.10s or 4.30s. And why? Please and thank you.
Ryan
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Crouch replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question.
My recommendation would to either stay with the same gears or go to 4.10. If all you were doing was pulling and not much highway driving it would be one thing, but for a truck that is going to see highway use, I would not go any more than 4.10. Diesel engines don't like to turn high rpms, so the 4.10's will keep the tach and bottom end of your 7.3 much happier. We normally don't do gear changes here to higher or lower gears, just replacement, but I do believe that when you go above 4.10 the carrier will need to be replaced as well.
If you need more information or have more questions, just respond and I will reply just as soon as I can.
Once again, thank you for using Just Answer and have a great day.