Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Ford Escape 2009 xlt 6 cy: David, I have a Ford Escape

Customer Question

Hi David,
I have a Ford Escape XLT
Vin# *****
BUILD DATE 07/08
65,000 miles
I have the code P0012/P0022 that come back even after they are erased.
In another just answer you mention there is a TSB. The Dealer I took it to made no mention of that.
Could you please clarify..
Thank you
George Augustaitis
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
There is indeed a TSB out on this. You have to keep in mind that a TSB(technical service bulletin) is NOT the same as a recall or warranty extension. This means that if your vehicle is out of warranty, either from mileage or months, then you will be paying for the repair.
The TSB is to replace the cylinder heads, camshafts, bearings, and vct solenoids IF the inspection reveals wear identified by the TSB. If no wear is found, then usual diagnostic steps need to be taken for these 2 codes to identify fault
Here is the TSB
TSB 11-12-5
12/12/11
3.0L MIL ON - DTC P0011, P0012, P0021, P0022
AND/OR P034X
FORD:
2010-2011 Fusion
2009-2011 Escape
MERCURY:
2010-2011 Milan
2009-2011 Mariner
This article supersedes TSB 11-11-18 to update the Service Procedure and Part List.
ISSUE
Some 2009-2011 Escapes, Mariners, 2010-2011
Fusion and Milan vehicles equipped with a 3.0L
engine and the engine was built on or before
3/1/2011 may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp
(MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs)
P0011, P0012, P0021, P0022 and/or P034X.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Verify engine build date. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01B.
a. If the engine built date is after 3/1/2011, do not continue with this procedure. Refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Manual for normal diagnostics.
b. If the engine built date is on or before 3/1/2011, proceed to Step 2.
2. Remove both valve covers. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01B.
3. Remove both front intake and both front exhaust camshaft thrust bearing caps. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01B.
a. If the camshaft thrust bearing cap(s) shows surface wear, proceed to Step 4. (Figures 1-2)
(1)Wear in the thrust bearing cap could be the cause of the variable camshaft timing (VCT) setting DTCs due to oil leakage from excessive clearance in the cam bearing cap. This in turn will not allow enough oil to feed the VCT phaser for proper operation.
b. If the camshaft thrust bearing cap(s) does not exhibit any abnormal wear, re-assemble cap(s) to cylinder head, torque to 10 N.m (7.5 lb-ft) and proceed to Step 5. (Figure 3)
(1) Slight polishing is normal and is not reason to replace the cylinder head. (Figure 3)
4. Inspect the camshaft that is under the effected worn cam thrust bearing journal for wear.
a. If the cylinder head only shows wear replace the cylinder head(s) of the affected cap(s). Refer to WSM, Section 303-01B. (Figures 1-2)
b. If both the cylinder head and camshaft show wear. Replace cylinder head(s) and cam shaft(s) of the affected cap(s). Refer to WSM, Section 303-01B.
5. Replace both VCT solenoids. Refer to WSM, Section 303-14B.
a. If the vehicle has less than 48,000 km (30,000 miles), the intake gasket and spark plug well gaskets can be reused. Inspect and replace only if damage is visible.
b. If the vehicle has 48,000 km (30,000 miles) or more, replace the intake and spark plug well gaskets. In all cases, the valve cover perimeter gasket must be replaced.
Parts Block
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
111205A 2009-2011 Escape, 2.1 Hrs.
Mariner 3.0L: Inspect
Thrust Bearing Caps And
Replace Both VCT
Solenoids (Do Not Use
With Any Other Labor
Operations)
111205A 2010-2011 Fusion, Milan 2.2 Hrs.
3.0L: Inspect Thrust
Bearing Caps And Replace
Both VCT Solenoids (Do
Not Use With Any Other
Labor Operations)
111205B 2010-2011 Fusion, Milan 10.1
3.0L: Inspect Thrust Hrs.
Bearing Caps And Replace
The Right Cylinder Head
(Do Not Use With Any
Other Labor Operations)
111205B 2009-2011 Escape, 8.2 Hrs.
Mariner 3.0L: Inspect
Thrust Bearing Caps And
Replace The Right
Cylinder Head (Do Not
Use With Any Other Labor
Operations)
111205C 2009-2011 Escape, 8.8 Hrs.
Mariner 3.0L: Inspect
Thrust Bearing Caps And
Replace The Left Cylinder
Head (Do Not Use With
Any Other Labor
Operations)
111205C 2010-2011 Fusion, Milan 9.4 Hrs.
3.0L: Inspect Thrust
Bearing Caps And Replace
The Left Cylinder Head
(Do Not Use With Any
Other Labor Operations)
111205D 2010-2011 Fusion, Milan 12.9
3.0L: Inspect Thrust Hrs.
Bearing Caps And Replace
The Right And Left
Cylinder Heads (Do Not
Use With Any Other Labor
Operations)
111205D 2009-2011 Escape, 11.0
Mariner 3.0L: Inspect Hrs.
Thrust Bearing Caps And
Replace The Right And
Left Cylinder Heads (Do
Not Use With Any Other
Labor Operations)
DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
6M280 14
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks