Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

Ford edge limit awd: iron mike I have a AWD edge . with 70k

Customer Question

iron mike I have a AWD edge . with 70k on it and I hear a howling noise in the rt rear I tried the lift thing, so I replaced the rear brakes rotors and the rt rear wheel bearing and it didn't make any difference. im at a loss.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,
these vehicles are known for bad hub bearings in the rear. With AWD you really need to get the vehicle up to speed on a lift. I have also seen the PTU(like the transfer case in 4WD systems)make terrible noises.
I also drive the vehicle and get the vehicle up to speed to duplicate the noise and the shift lanes(best on road straight and away from traffic) going to the left or right will shift the weight and many times the noise will change/quite when you get the weight off it.
You can even put the vehicle into neutral at speed and see if the noise changes. Could be the rear drive shaft also. sometimes noise sound like they come from different places than where they originate from.
lets start here
good luck