James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

F550: 6.0 diesel runs rough at idle and gets progressively

Customer Question

6.0 diesel runs rough at idle and gets progressively worse while idling only. Eventually shuts off after about 15 mins
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. When the vehicle stalls if you remove the top fuel filter cap is it pressurized? If it is you likely are getting combustion gases in the fuel lines. To test for gases you need a couple of balloons. You loosen the fuel line from the fuel filter housing going into the cylinder head. You secure the baloons over the fuel line and remove the fuel pump fuse. Crank over the engine and see if the baloons puff up at all. The baloons shouldn't have any movement at all. Depending on what side of the engine is one helps narrow it down to one side. Without a scan tool to identify the original misfiring injector it can be hard to isolate it. If one injector goes bad like this Ford wants all 4 injectors on that side. It was a warranty thing.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.