Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Ford F1: Geetings, I have a 1996 F-150 in line 6cyl. I'm the

Customer Question

Geetings, I have a 1996 F-150 in line 6cyl. I'm the second owner and purchased it w/ 40k miles and I'm currently at 285k miles and I have yet to crack the engine open. Hands down, the best truck I've ever owned. I have owned Nissan, Toyota and dodge.
Here's my problem. Check engine light has been on for some time. I've taken it to a couple of reputable shops but no luck. I get codes 171 and 174. I have clean the EGR, I replace my 3 Of sensors, cleaNed the throttle body, replaced my air filter, replaced my fuel filter,inspected all my vacuum lines but no luck. my mechanic suggested I take it to Electrical Shop. What do you suggest?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, Common fault for many cars with P0171 and P0174 is purge solenoid stuck, carbon buildup in the heads, dirty injectors. I would perform an upper cylinder clean first. Remembering it has done 285000 miles. Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate the input, no one has mentioned any of those potential issues. Regardless, I'll follow up on the progress and thank you. R.D.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, Could be any of the above, not necessarily all of, start with the combustion chamber clean. Hope you can sort your problem. Gary