James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

F250 7.3: 01 7.3 crank, no start. died while driving leaning

Customer Question

01 7.3 crank, no start.
died while driving
leaning towards pcm
your thoughts?
thanks,
BTW, vehicle is 225miles from home
I am with it now
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel filter replaced recently & oil/filter changed
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Did you replace fuse 30 that is only powered on the one side? Did it blow again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuse did not blow. There is just no power to that side. My understanding is that it should be hot, both sides, with ignition "on".
Thank you, ***** ***** for following up on this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the #30 fuse is wiggled, I can get power on/off at the pcm relay, so there must be a bad connection in the fuse assembly.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
You are correct. The fuse should have power on both sides. The power goes into one side of the fuse through the fuse and back into the fuse panel. If you have 12v on one side and no power on the other side the fuse is bad. The fuse may not be blown exactly but the fuse is at least bad. I would reinstall a new fuse and retest to see if you have power on both sides.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested with no fuse. I replaced it any ways. Same issue-loose internal fuse connection, but still no start.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
A loose internal connection should still allow 12v on both sides of the fuse if you are back probing the test pieces at the very top. Do you have a fused jumper wire by chance?