Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

Ford F-150XL 4.2l: What kind of situation am I in, and where

Customer Question

What kind of situation am I in, and where can i take my vehicle to be repaired or reprogrammed the cheapest? Apparently the geniuses who swapped my instrument panel at a junkyard for me (it was a free gift, as my vehicle had been recently restored/repaired) forgot to mention the programming side of things, in regards ***** ***** PATS system. I have a 1999 Ford F-150XL 4.2liter, that will not turn over now, and obvious theft light blinks have taken over at start.
Thing is though, I swapped the previous speedometer back into place, and it still will not start? Thanks!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with your concerns.
Sounds like the vehicle lost it's PATS programming.
What you will need to do is first, put the new dash that you want back in and then call a locksmith and see if they can do PATS programming. If not, then Ford will need to do it. Some shops around town can do it if they have the Ford IDS connector and program to do it.
Either way, it all needs to have the same route done. The vehicle needs to have the keys reprogrammed back to the truck in order for it to start.
:-(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will whomever need my entire vehicle, or can i just take said parts somewhere to be programmed? (trying to evaluate the tow bill?!)
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
You will have to have the whole truck there. :-(
Most locksmiths can do it anymore. Mine can. They charge a flat fee usually which is way cheaper than the stealership as well as a tow bill. Mine charges a flat $89.
Not sure if you are in a bigger city or not, but sometimes you can call a mobile mechanic to do it as well if they have the scanner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in Chattanooga, TN.Any idea what I need to specifically ask for when I speak to these places over the phone? And why did putting the original speedmeter cluster back in not resolve the no-start problem with it all?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
It is because the new cluster was put in. It changed the parameters in the PCM and the PCM dropped the code for the cluster.
The PCMs are just like computers in our home. They have what is called a NVRAM chip which is like a hard drive, but it is all on a chip instead of a disc. If you unplug say, a printer and then plug in a new one, the PC will need you to install a driver for the new printer and the new becomes the default, the old no longer usable, unless you plug it in and then tell the computer with the software to use the old one again.
Cars are no different. The new cluster was put in and the PCM changed the info for the new cluster and cleared the PATS so it is ready for programming. When you tried the old cluster, that info was cleared because of the new cluster. It now needs programming as well.
The PATS system right now has no info since it saw a change. So neither cluster works until the programming is put in and stored.
Hopefully I wrote that to where it makes some sense?
Now on to ask the shops is just call them and say, Hi, do you do PATS programming on Fords and what is the rate to program a master key?" All you need is to get one key programmed for the rest, you can do with the key switch cycling once you have the master key programmed back into the module.
That is another thing to try. You may be lucky. If you have another key, try it for the other key could be the master. Fingers crossed...