Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

F350 xl super duty: 97 f350/460 super duty xl service/bucket

Customer Question

97 f350/460 super duty xl service/bucket truck. automatic transmission issues. I'm looking for a device to capture the event code. intermittent problem. mechanic not able to catch event. what should I buy to catch the codes? I'm in the 50.00 - 100.00 range.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fyi, the diagnostic ports under the hood, drivers side, fender mounted. there are 2 ports, 1 is long and slim, the second is more of a square shape.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
What issues are you having?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the truck is a former Verizon bucket/fleet truck, 116,000 miles. more frequently, the truck will act like it is neutral. I rev the engine and it catches up. the od light starts flashing. shifts very hard. the speedometer will make a couple of wild swings and stabilize. the above occurs when it is hot. cold it is fine.
I use the truck daily and cant afford to keep dinking around. I need to get firm codes that I can give to my mechanic. he doesn't think it is the speed sensor. the fluid is clean and pink in the tranny. I need a code device that I can plug in daily to trap the codes.
I am going to try to attach a picture of the diagnostic ports.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is the vin 1FDK F37G 3VEB 0944 2
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
The speedometer on this truck is what is known as a PSOM(programmable speedometer only module),if the the needle is swinging wildly then the trans is not getting a speed signal properly, this cause it to shift hard and at the wrong time, to repair you need to have the speedo head replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. however, that doesn't answer my original question regarding a code device.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
Any device that will connect and read OBDII codes will work, provided the PCM has been updated to work with the OBDII connector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
early on, I attached a picture of the diag ports. that is what I have to work with. they are under the hood. there are no in cab diag ports. it isn't obdii. that much I know.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.
The picture you poste dis of the EEC IV connector, there should be an OBD II connector under the pass side of the dash.