Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

E150 Van: 03 Ford E150. Front blower motor not working. Removed

Customer Question

03 Ford E150. Front blower motor not working. Removed and reinstalled both front and rear relays in the power distribution box. Hooked battery back up and everything started working as normal. Turned motor off came back and hour later and same problem again. Front blower not working.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its been more than 10 minutes.
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried swapping those 2 relays and see if changes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I swapped the two 50 amp relays. Hooked the battery back up. The motor started working again. (front). I figured it was corrosion maybe. When I came back an hour later I started the engine. Turned on AC and front motor not working again. Rear blower fine.
Thanks,
By far, the most common part we replace when this happens is the blower motor resistor and i'm sure that is the case here. Copy and paste the link below for the instructions. I'm very confident it will take care of this.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/ford%20resistor.pdf
I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.
You can still ask questions even after you do the required rating and there is no further charge!
Your question does not close after you rate.
Thank you.
Larry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok gonna try it. Switch is not coming out of plug easily. Any ideas to help. Must be corroded in.
That's actually a sign that the plug has gotten hot and is melted stuck. The resistors inside get REAL hot during normal operation.
That's a dead give away its the culprit!
You just have to play around with it, maybe use a small blade screwdriver to work loose the sides a little at a time. If it's really melted bad you would have to buy that plug harness with the new resistor. Ford will know EXACTLY what you need because they sell so damn many of them :-)
Best wishes my friend!
If you are happy with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks a lot. I will try what you say. I will rate you 5 stars as well. If I have more trouble I will post back. Going to change part now. Let you know how it comes out.
Good deal.
Remember you can still ask more questions even after you rate and there is no more charge!
LJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok replaced the resistor and it still does not work.
It may have burnt the blower relay fuse. Its in the underhood fuse box.
copy and paste the link below
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/fuse%20blower.PNG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First thing I checked. Fuse looks good. Swapped with a known good and still same problem.
Check the fuse shown below in the fuse box at the end of the dash and if it's ok, you are back to possible corrosion at that relay you were talking about earlier. The thing about this blower circuit is that it draws a LOT of current and can melt connections, corroded connections and even burn a wire before the fuse catches it. You may have to take that fuse box out to inspect the corrosion.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/fuse%2013.PNG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Let you know what I find.
Ok,
Just remember to have the key on when testing those fuses and you are using a test light to see if the fuse has power on both ends. Dont rely on just looking at them. At the ends of each fuse is a little slot where you can probe with a testlight. test both ends. that is the best way to be sure power is going through the fuse AND if there is even any power at the fuse to start with!
Talk later.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok tested relays and fuse in cab with a multimeter and all check good 12V DC on each pin. How can we test the motor for power coming to it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tested with meter and all are good.
Remove the front blower relay and jumper pin #30 and #87 and the blower should come on.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/blwr.PNG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can give up now. It was the blower motor. Not the resistor. Thanks for info. Take care.
Yes, by jumping those pins together will tell you if the motor is good or not. Good job and it was nice working with you!
Larry