Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Escort: Drivers door locked shut. Cant open it. 1997 ford

Customer Question

Drivers door locked shut. Cant open it. 1997 ford escort
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have got the door panel off and removed the barrel. Cant get the mechanism out though to see id anuthing is broken inside
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Unfortunately if the latch is broken internally (which is the only way you cant manually open it once youre inside the door panel) then your only option is to cut the latch open to get to the internals to free it up so you can open the door to unbolt it and bolt in a new one.First though unhook the lock linkage from the latch assembly and manaually lock and unlock it a few times hard. Then unhook the handle cable and try manually opening it again and hope for the best.
You could also try spraying some penetrating oil in the latch assembly too to free up something if its just stuck but most times manually unlocking and locking it a few times with force will free it up. If it dont as I said cutting is your only option.