James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Ford f150: , I have a 96 f150 which was originally fitted

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 96 f150 which was originally fitted with a 302 5.0. At sometime before I bought it, a previous owner had swapped the engine for a 93 302. Now of course its misfiring. It has been suggested:
1. Change the engine.
2. Change the cam.
3. Change the computer.
What do you think? I'm not a brilliant mechanic, so Layman's terms would be appreciated.
Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing just answer. Do you know if this has a mass air flow sensor or map sensor by chance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I'm away from home at the moment. Will check when I get back tonight and let you know.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. The engine itself is going to be the same and most electronics are the same. The biggest difference is what system you have. If you are unsure you can always send me a photo of the intake filter and tubing and I can let you know also.