Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Ford Escape: have 2002 ford escape that was just in a front

Customer Question

have 2002 ford escape that was just in a front end accident...lady pulled out in front of wife. The day after accident the escape started hard shifting and then next day when I took it to test drive completely lost tranmission power...car would just rev as in neutral. I could sit for a while and then it would engage for a bit and then disengage. first question, could this have resulted from front end collision and second question is what does it sound like the problem is. Sitting in the driveway it will still engage for a short while if I wait long enough. Checked fluid and it is in the range
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
The only way this would be connected to the accident is (a) if the transmission cooler lines were bent/crimped due to the front end collision, thus preventing fluid flow, (b)the lines were busted or the radiator busted(which we can eliminate if there is not fluid pouring out, (c)shock damage such as force was hard enough to dislodge the fluid filter inside the pan or damage to the shift solenoids or other internal parts.
First place to start is to inspect the transmission cooler lines going to the radiator for signs of being bent or crimped and replace as needed.
If ok, then pan should be dropped to inspect the filter to see if it fell down into the pan. Reinstall as needed.
If ok, then it will require dropping the transmission and doing a teardown to find the problem and whether accident related or not. BEFORE doing this, you want to contact your insurance company on whether they will cover the teardown or not, and how to proceed as far as what shop to use, making a claim, etc.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks