James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Ford: 2006 ford f250 PSD: 4wd transfer case will not engage,

Customer Question

2006 ford f250 PSD: 4wd transfer case will not engage, both 4x4 indicators lights prove out when cranking.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. If the lights prove out that is a good sign. If you have a multi meter you can test voltage at the shift motor itself. The lower plug with two large wires. When you turn the 4x4 on you should get 12v. If you are getting power here it means the shift motor is bad. The relays themselves don't fail a lot but I can go over testing them as well if you would like. If you aren't fetting power to the transfer case shift motor like I stated above please let me know and we can perform a different test.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello James, I stated that when the brown/white and orange/blue wires at the high/low relays that come from 4wd module were grounded with test light the motor on transfer case functioned. The wiring diagram showed these wires to go directly out of 4wd module to relays, when I checked them they are open. Are these wires supplied a ground from 4wd module to activate transfer case motor?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
When you ohm out these wires it shows an open on both sides. You are correct the module grounds the relay coil. This activates the transfer case motor. I have seen one or more wire break inside the harness from the relay to the module. This isn't to common but it does happen. Instead of trying to locate the break I overlay or run two new wores from the relay to the module. This is the easiest way to fix your concern.