Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

I just test drove a 2004 Ford F150 with the 5.4, auto,

Customer Question

Hi, I just test drove a 2004 Ford F150 with the 5.4, auto, with 4X4. Drove fine, trans shifted fine. The owner mentioned an issue with the overdrive. When I put it in OD, there was hesitation and a thud when it shifted. It only has 104k miles. What do you think?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Scott
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Is this the newer body style 2004 or the older body style, Heritage?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Do you meaan it has a harsh initial engagement? Or the 3-4 shift feels weak?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Let me know, thanks Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the newer body style, fully loaded 4 door super cab.The hesitation and thud would have been on gears 3 or 4.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
okay what we see most on those is possibly a broken band or a overdrive servo retaining clip broken this will cause a slip and possibly a harsh shift into overdrive. are you repairing the vehicle yourself do you need instructions let me know thanks Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would rather a mechanic do the fix. How much would you guess it would cost? # ***** hours? Thanks.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
If it needs a overhaul, the labor is around 14 hours, if the clip is broken on the servo rod, it would be about 3-4 hours, we charge 120 an hour.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
We sell quite a few reman transmissions just because the warranty is better and cost is usually with in a few hundred dollars of a overhaul. A reman is around 2400 with 8 hours labor, but the warranty is 3yr 100k mile warranty.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Just something to consider also.